The Medical Design Excellence Awards would not be the prestigious competition that it is without the knowledge, expertise, and integrity of the juror panel. The 11 jurors for this year’s awards program are from a wide variety of backgrounds. These include biobehavioral science research, biomedical engineering, clinical engineering, clinical studies, diagnostics research and development, human factors, industrial design, neuroscience research, nursing, packaging, and quality assurance.
• Tor Alden is principal at HS Design Inc. (Gladstone, NJ), a product development firm that focuses on user-driven design in the medical marketplace.
• Dale Bevington, who served as jury chair for the competition, is cofounder of Product Innovation Partners (London).
• Laura Bix, PhD, is an assistant professor in the school of packaging at Michigan State University (East Lansing, MI).
• Jeff L. Butler is principal engineer at Sysmed Enterprises Inc. (Richardson, TX).
• Yadin B. David, PhD, is director of the biomedical engineering and television services department at Texas Children’s Hospital (Houston) and president of Biomedical Engineering Consultants (Houston).
• Walter Greenleaf, PhD, is president of Greenleaf Medical (Palo Alto, CA), a company that focuses on developing new diagnostic and analytic technologies for medicine.
• Dan Haumschild, PhD, is group manager for clinicals and development quality assurance at Beckman Coulter Inc. (Chaska, MN).
• Craig M. Jackson, PhD, is president and principal scientist of HemoSaga Diagnostics Corp. (San Diego). He is also a member of the editorial advisory board for IVD Technology.
• Denise M. Korniewicz, DNSc, is a professor and associate dean for research and doctoral programs at the University of Miami School of Nursing (Miami) and the director of its research center.
• Michael E. Wiklund is vice president in charge of the human factors research and design group at the American Institutes for Research (Concord, MA).
• Stephen B. Wilcox, PhD, is founder and principal of Design Science Consulting Inc. (Philadelphia), a product research and human factors consulting group.
Copyright ©2004 IVD Technology